Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an essential aspect of any business’s digital marketing strategy. It is the practice of optimizing a website’s content and structure to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) for specific keywords and phrases. SEO impacts brand awareness in several ways, making it a crucial component of any marketing plan.
In this blog post, I will explore how SEO impacts brand awareness and why it is essential for businesses to invest in SEO.
1) Higher Search Engine Rankings Increase Visibility
One of the most significant ways that SEO impacts brand awareness is by increasing a website’s visibility in search engine results pages. When a website ranks higher in the SERPs, it is more likely to be seen by potential customers, increasing the likelihood that they will engage with the brand.
For example, suppose a potential customer searches for a particular product or service related to a brand. In that case, they are more likely to click on the website that appears at the top of the search engine results page. If the brand’s website appears at the top of the search results, it increases the brand’s visibility, which can lead to increased brand awareness.
2) SEO Helps Establish Credibility and Trust
SEO can help establish a brand’s credibility and trustworthiness. When a website ranks high in search engine results, it can be seen as an authority in its industry, which can build trust and credibility with potential customers.
When a brand’s website appears high in the search engine results pages, it sends a message to potential customers that the brand is legitimate and trustworthy. This can lead to increased brand awareness and ultimately lead to more sales.
3) Increased Website Traffic Leads to More Brand Exposure
SEO can drive more website traffic, which can lead to increased brand exposure. When more people visit a website, they are more likely to become familiar with the brand and its products or services.
For example, suppose a potential customer searches for a particular product or service related to a brand and clicks on the brand’s website. In that case, they may explore other pages on the website and become more familiar with the brand. This increased exposure can lead to increased brand awareness and, ultimately, more sales.
4) Local SEO Increases Brand Awareness in Local Markets
Local SEO is a subset of SEO that focuses on optimizing a website for local search results. Local SEO is essential for businesses that have a physical presence, such as a brick-and-mortar store or a local service business.
Local SEO can increase brand awareness in local markets by making it easier for potential customers to find the brand when they search for local products or services. When a brand’s website appears at the top of local search engine results, it can increase the brand’s visibility, leading to increased brand awareness and more sales.
5) SEO Helps Build Brand Awareness Across Multiple Channels
SEO can help build brand awareness across multiple channels. When a brand’s website ranks high in search engine results, it can also increase the brand’s visibility on social media, email marketing, and other channels.
For example, suppose a potential customer discovers a brand through a search engine and visits the brand’s website. In that case, they may also follow the brand on social media or sign up for the brand’s email list. This increased exposure across multiple channels can lead to increased brand awareness and more sales.
Here are some facts and numbers that support this claim:
- Botify, the leading performance marketing platform for organic search, recently polled 4,000 UK and US consumers. More than half of people (51%), believe that a brand that ranks high in natural or organic search results is more trustworthy than one that appears as a sponsored or paid advertisement. Read more
- Users are more likely to click on organic search results: According to a study by Search Engine Journal, organic search results receive 94% of clicks, while paid search results only receive 6% of clicks. Read more
- Users are more likely to convert from organic search results: According to a study by BrightEdge, organic search results drive 51% of all website traffic, while paid search results only drive 10%. Additionally, the same study found that organic search results have a 14.6% conversion rate, while paid search results only have a 3.75% conversion rate. This indicates that users are more likely to convert from organic search results because they trust them more. Read more
- Ad blockers are becoming more popular: Ad blockers are software programs that remove or alter advertisements on websites. According to a study by eMarketer, 27% of internet users in the United States used ad blockers in 2020. This means that paid ads are becoming less effective because users are finding ways to block them. Read more
- Users perceive organic results as more relevant: A study by Forrester Research found that 70% of users perceive organic search results as more relevant than paid search results.
- Organic search results are perceived as more trustworthy: According to a survey by Econsultancy, 61% of users perceive organic search results as more trustworthy than paid search results.
In conclusion, SEO is essential for businesses looking to increase brand awareness. Higher search engine rankings increase visibility, SEO helps establish credibility and trust, increased website traffic leads to more brand exposure, local SEO increases brand awareness in local markets, and SEO helps build brand awareness across multiple channels. By investing in SEO, businesses can increase brand awareness, ultimately leading to more sales and revenue.
Rakesh Bhosale is a seasoned digital marketing consultant with over 15 years of industry expertise. Specializing in lead generation, demand generation, branding, marketing automation, and digital transformation strategies, Rakesh’s comprehensive knowledge and hands-on experience drive remarkable growth and establish strong online presences.